Saturday, March 4, 2006

 

Hamster cage on a hot plate sparks fire in garage; no people are hurt

`A hamster died, but no people were harmed Wednesday morning when a hot plate ignited a fire in a Salem home’s garage. [..]

Investigators learned that a 3-year-old girl visiting her grandmother was observing a hamster in its cage in the garage. The hamster cage was placed on a hot plate that was plugged in. The girl turned on the hot plate and the hamster cage caught fire, and fire spread to the rest of the garage.

Damage was estimated at $10,000. Holmstrom said the public should remember that portable heating devices always should be kept unplugged when not in use.’

The article doesn’t appear to say it anywhere, but the title somehow suggests to me that the hamster probably didn’t make it. 🙂




Leave a Reply