feed
jobs

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

 

Brain-Swelling Amoeba Blamed For 2nd Child’s Death

‘A 10-year-old boy who died after contracting amoebic encephalitis while swimming in a Central Florida lake is the second reported case in the area since August.

The Orange County Health Department did not identify the child or the lake where he contracted the amoeba.

However, the owner of the Orlando Water Sports Complex said he was contacted by the Orange County Health Department and told to post signs warning of the deadly amoeba. The victim was believed to have visited the popular park.

“It now has happened twice in Central Florida this year,” a health official said. “And therefore, we need to ramp up the precautions for using nose plugs and taking all precautions when swimming in the lakes and doing water sports.”‘

Followup to Apparent Amoeba-Related Death Prompts Central Fla. Water Warning.




Leave a Reply

content