‘A small-town rumor that sparked world-wide interest about a mouse burning down a house has been found to be untrue.
After 81-year-old Chano Mares’s house burned down Saturday in Fort Sumner, news services picked up the quirky story. [..]
“It’s really humorous more than anything that a mouse burned down the house,” he told KOAT-TV in Albuquerque. The mouse was dead when it hit the burning leaves.
Mares said he trapped and killed the critter and tossed it on the fire.
The flames, he said, probably reached his house because they were driven by high winds.’
follow-up to Vengeful mouse sets house ablaze.