`A woman from the Country Club Park area contracted a case of bubonic plague, the first human case in Los Angeles County since 1984, county health officials said Tuesday.
The woman, who has not been identified, came down with symptoms last week and remains hospitalized.
Health officials said they believe the woman was exposed to fleas in the area around her house, although an investigation is continuing.
Public health workers set out traps Tuesday to catch squirrels and other wild animals in the area near her home. County Public Health Laboratory workers will test blood from those animals to determine if there has been any exposure to the plague bacteria.’