service

Saturday, August 11, 2007

 

Apparent Amoeba-Related Death Prompts Central Fla. Water Warning

‘The Orange County Health Department issued a warning to swimmers Wednesday concerning freshwater ponds and lakes after a 10-year-old boy died when an amoeba apparently entered his body.

Officials said Will Sellers was treated at Arnold Palmer Hospital for amoebic encephalitis after swimming in Lake Conway, WKMG-TV reported. Sellers died Wednesday at the hospital from amoebic encephalitis, or acute swelling of the brain

The amoeba suspected of infecting the boy usually enters a swimmer’s body through the nose and travels to the brain and spinal cord.’




Leave a Reply

international