feed

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

 

Curry blast sets jet alight

‘British Airways has banned cabin crew from microwaving their own food after a curry exploded at 35,000 ft (10,668 metres), causing around $US40,000 ($48,790) of damage to an aircraft.

A fire extinguisher was used to tackle the blaze on April 30 on a Heathrow to Miami flight, when the high-powered microwave ignited a ready meal that a stewardess had bought from a supermarket.

“The fire lasted only a couple of seconds,” said a BA spokesman.

“As a precaution a specialist extinguisher was used in the microwave. However, at no time was there any danger to passengers or the aircraft.”‘




Leave a Reply