‘A ship’s doctor has died in Western Australia after eating blowfish, a delicacy that can prove fatal if not prepared properly.
Authorities were called to an iron ore ship off Dampier early on Saturday after a 43-year-old Chinese man suffered paralysis and his breathing became laboured.
“We did a co-ordinated rescue effort through Australian Search and Rescue,” said Acting Sergeant Chris Hinch. [..]
“The other person who had eaten the fish fell ill and made himself vomit,” he said.
“There was another gentleman who did CPR on the doctor and fell ill because the doctor had vomited while he was giving him CPR.
“We bought him to shore as a precautionary measure.”‘